Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'm Coming Back.

I studied photography in college, primarily photojournalism. I always loved the action of real life photography. For a degree I had to shoot fashion shots, spending time in the studio working with models that were recruited from among my friends on campus. I had to shoot product shots for print advertising. I must admit I hated the studio. And working for hours trying to adjust the lights on a bowl of cereal was not that exciting.

I wanted to be among people, on the street, in a football stadium, at a press conference, following a presidential campaign. I've shot photos of Presidents Bush Sr., Ford, and Clinton. I've covered high school football games, parades, political campaigns, and other forms of everyday life. For me, art is in the reality of people and the world in which we live. I want to shoot life as it happens, and look for the beauty that is there, in its simplicity.

I can walk down the street and see expressions of our existence in various forms: the golden chain hanging from the umbrella pole at a Starbucks, cigarette butts collecting near a drain pipe, a mother caressing her infant struggling with a grocery cart, flood victims clinging to their porches while watching their neighbors homes float down a swollen creek.

Life equals art.

But my photography career ended roughly around 1993. I began to do other things. I developed other interest like real estate, writing, church, family. My photography slowly became a memory, something I "used to do" when I was younger. But the love for it was always there.

So now, as I reach the time of my life where middle age is a reality and old age approaches like an uninvited guest, I desire to spend more time with a camera. I also want to post some of the photos I've taken from another time, another life.

So I guess I'm back.

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...