Monday, January 28, 2008

Not much going on this week other than a little work, a little play, and enjoying some wonderful weather for late January. This week has been mostly sunny and warm, although today the rain is in town. It won't be here long.

I saw "Cloverfield" and feel obligated to offer a quick review. First, I immediately got it: this film was "Blair Witch Project" meets "Godzilla" on "9/11". It is a very cool movie in the sense that it's unconventional and has an emotional punch that is unexpected. After all, it is a monster flick. The special effects are above average and the images of Manhattan under attack did bring back some eerie emotions I felt on 9/11/01.

Second, "Cloverfield" is shot by a hand-held camera ("Blair Witch" style) and thus the shaky images will make some movie-goers toss their lunch. I didn't feel sick, only distracted. I tired of it after a while and wished the filmmakers had provided more of a break by keeping the damn camera still for a second or two.

Third, the plot and acting were fine, no complaints. In fact, most of the actors were unknown to me and were very good, which added a sense of reality to the whole thing. I had a problem later on with Hud, who was dumb as a rock. I grew tired of his dim-bulb routine. I also had to accept the incredibly silly idea that a guy running from creepy-crawlies and monsters would keep recording the action on his camera. I kept saying to Hud under my breath, "Throw the camera down, you idiot, and run for your life."
_________________________________

I've been playing poker more seriously this month as I prepare for the World Series of Poker this summer in Las Vegas. You can read my poker blog at http://www.7seat.com/ (or http://www.sevenseat.com/ ). I'm not playing in the Big Event, but will be concentrating on the cash games surrounding the events. Participating in the mayhem of the WSOP is on my "Bucket List" of things to do before I die, so this summer I should be able to check that particular adventure off my list.
_________________________________

I'll be in Phoenix this weekend for the Super Bowl, though I don't have tickets. I will be in town to see the NFL Experience and participate in some of the Super Bowl events surrounding the game. The game is actually being played in University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, home of the Arizona Cardinals.
_________________________________

I purchased an 8-game packet to see the Texas Rangers next month as they begin Spring Training in Surprise, Arizona. Therefore, it appears I'll be staying in Arizona at least through March. Then it's likely in April I'll head west for a few weeks before landing in Las Vegas for the WSOP in June and July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...