Sunday, March 2, 2008

No Surprise...Surprise is Wonderful.

I'm enjoying my usual SCDL at the Starbucks in Surprise Town Center, about a mile from the stadium where I'll be watching the Texas Rangers play.
I drove from Scottsdale to Surprise this morning and took my time. Instead of taking Loop 101 around the north side of Phoenix, I took Bell Road from North Scottsdale Blvd. Bell Road is a major artery on the north side connecting Scottsdale in the east to western communities like Glendale, Sun City, and Surprise. It took about 40 minutes to make the drive.
.
As I drove through Glendale on Bell Road I noticed leftovers from when the Super Bowl was in town almost a month ago. Banners were still hanging from lamp posts and a couple of retail stores were still open trying to unload leftover jerseys. Glendale has become a mecca for upscale retail shopping and tourism since the Arizona Cardinals moved to town.
.
After you drive through Glendale, you arrive in Sun City, a development by the construction mogul Del Webb. According to their web site, Sun City has "seven recreation centers, 8 golf courses, 3 country clubs, 2 bowling centers, Sun Bowl, and Viewpoint Lake constituting the largest concentration of year round recreational facilities in the United States." Surprise is just west of Sun City.
.
Once in Surprise I continued west on Bell Road until I found North Bullard. Surprise Stadium, home of the Texas Ranger's spring training camp, is on Bullard. However, you can actually see the stadium to the south once you get to the Surprise Towne Center at the corner of Grant and Bell. I wanted to find the stadium before stopping for my coffee. I knew a Starbucks would be nearby, and sure enough, there it was nestled among other retail shops in the Surprise Towne Center.
.
As you can tell by the photo, there were a dozen motorcycles parked out front. It's not unusual to see a motorcycle group gather at a Starbucks before hitting the road for a day trip.

In an hour or so I'll make my way to the stadium. The weather forecast: 72 degrees, clear, and sunny.
.
I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The Rangers play the Kansas City Royals, and many of the regular season starters are scheduled to play. It's also "bring your dog to the ballpark" day, so I'd better watch where I step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...