Sunday, August 26, 2007

I’ve said all along prior to leaving Texas the biggest gamble I’m making concerns my SUV. Up until yesterday, it has performed marvelously. No problems at all. I was even thrilled to see the excellent gas mileage.

Then yesterday it happened. The radiator sprung a leak. Without warning the car overheated sending me immediately to the nearest watering hole. The watering hole of choice was the Love’s service station across from the Sandia Resort.

Naturally, I looked for the “Free Air/Water” service that most service stations have available. I didn’t see one. Luckily I had a Prestone Antifreeze plastic container with me that had about three cups of fluid left. I took the container inside the Love’s bathroom and added water to the remaining fluid. After pouring the fluid in the radiator I noticed the leak. Man, that sucks.

Happening simultaneously with my predicament, while I had the car hood up trying to look like a mechanic (which I’m not), a Sandia Resort security cop comes walking by me on her walkie-talkie. Evidently she was tracking someone who was on the patio outside the Love’s station. She was calling for backup on her 2-way. Great. Not only do I have car trouble, but now I’m going to be wounded in a shootout between a security guard and some bozo evading capture.

I moved the car in order to avoid any mayhem, but it turned out to be a false alarm. A few minutes later the security cops and the bozo were chumming around like best friends.

Good grief. I hate car trouble. I especially hate expensive car repairs on a trip where my budget is tight to begin with. I gambled that my car would hold out a little bit longer. Boy, talk about a bad beat.

Of course, things could be worse. The engine could have blown up or I could have been in a car wreck. A lot of nasty things can happen to you while on the road. I’ll have to be thankful it’s just a radiator leak.

The Albuquerque Journal newspaper reported the story of two persons killed on a railroad crossing by a local commuter train last night. The persons, a brother and sister, were in town to arrange the funeral for their mother who had just died. The woman’s husband saw the entire wreck from a short distance. Naturally the entire family coming in town for one funeral must now plan three.

I suppose a radiator leak isn’t all that bad, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...