Monday, August 27, 2007

From the beginning of this 1,100 mile journey I was prepared to stop along the way and work. I'll make a few bucks and experience what it’s like having a part-time job. I’ve not had a part-time job this century.

You must understand, I’ve been working for myself since 1997. I’ve had no boss. I’ve had no regular work schedule. I’ve been an independent contractor making a living from commission sales in real estate. So, when I say I’ve not had a part-time job this century, you’ll know what I mean.

I began looking for part-time work soon after arriving in Albuquerque, having decided to stay here for a few weeks. Here is what I’ve learned so far: looking for a job really sucks.

Job-hunting is not like it was in the “good old days.” Now, you’re expected to fill out an application online, wait a week or two until it’s handled, then maybe in a few days they will call you if they want to hire you.

I’ve applied at two bookstores, a coffee joint, a car dealership, a real estate corporate office, and a jewelry store. They all were advertising, “We are Hiring.” I wasn’t just dropping in uninvited. The approach they all had in common, and I’m paraphrasing here, is this: “Fill out an application and in a few days, maybe a week or two, we’ll contact you. Should we contact you, we’ll then set up a time for a formal interview. If we move ahead from there, you may need to have a drug test, be pre-screened, and we’ll have to do a background check to make sure you’re not a terrorist or anything.”

You would think I was applying for a job at the Pentagon.

I remember my first job. It was selling sporting goods at a discount store. I walked in, filled out an application, spoke with a lady who did the hiring, and was hired on the spot. I began work the next day. The whole process took less than hour.

It’s not like that in this century. Now, to find an ordinary part-time job you’ve got to be persistent. And above all else, you have to wait.

I walk into a coffee joint. A sign on the door says, "We are hiring!" Hey, the exclamation point. They must really need help. I fill out the application and turn it in that day. Three days later I've not a heard anything, so I ask to see the manager.

"I just wanted to make sure you got my application." I'm smiling.

"Yes, I did. But I do my office work only on Mondays. Are you available for an interview on Monday?" says the manager.

"Well, I guess. It's Wednesday now. I guess we can't meet any sooner?"

"Not really. I'm backed up with so much work, I really can't meet until Monday." I'm starting to think this whole process is going to take a while.

So, four days later, on Monday, I show up for the interview.

The manager: "Did you not get my voice mail? I called you last night. I'm sick. Can we postpone the interview until Wednesday?"

"Well, I know what it's like to be sick. But I do want to begin work as soon as I can."

"It won't matter. If you are hired, you won't be able to start until the next two week schedule comes out. So you won't be able to start any sooner. We might as well wait until Wednesday."

If I'm lucky enough to get hired, I may get a paycheck by Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...