Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I'm Eliminating Solvents from Studio

Artists are continually talking about making their studios safer and non-toxic. It makes sense. Why not have a safe working environment if you can do it? 

I have been using surgical gloves for over a year now when I paint. I mainly do it to avoid washing my hands. Clean up is so much easier when you don't have to wash your hands, especially if you often stop while working (answering the phone, going to the restroom, getting coffee, etc.). I grew tired of getting paint on my hands and having to wash them off each time I needed to take a break. Now, I just remove the gloves. Plus, they are safer. Any cuts or scratches on your fingers allow toxins to enter your bloodstream. Why take the chance? If I feel the need to use my fingers, I just remove the gloves. No big deal. 

Solvents have been used for hundreds of years to clean brushes and thin paints. But they are toxic. They also hinder the binding of pigment to the surface and are not the only way to thin paint. There are better alternatives. Eliminating solvents entirely from the studio is not that hard. Solvents are different from some mediums like Liquin or Oleogel. Solvents break down the pigments and hinder adhesion. Mediums like Liquin suspend the pigments in solution and shouldn't interfere with pigments sticking to the surface. Too much solvent will cause problems in adhesion. So eliminating solvents is a good idea unless you really like the effects of using it in underpainting or in other techniques. However, nontoxic mediums now exists that will do the work of solvents, so why not use them?

What about cleaning brushes? I have recently followed the advice of many artists: I no longer clean my brushes at the end of each working session. I simply suspend them in safflower oil. I also use safflower oil to clean the brushes while working. I use Rublev Oleogel and linseed oil as mediums to help me work the paint. I no longer use OMS like Gamsol while I work. 

For now, this seems to be working for me. I like having a solvent-free environment. If we carefully dispose of our toxic wastes and protect ourselves from toxins while we work, we should be hedging our bets against harmful health issues. 

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...