Sunday, November 11, 2007

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt

Yesterday I spent the day with the Afflecks, Ben and Jen. Or I should say, I spent the day watching their movies. I visited the cinema at the Foothills Mall to view Gone Baby Gone, directed by Mr. Affleck. I'll admit it...it was a good movie. Later in the evening I drove north to the discount cinema on Kolb Ave. that shows movies after they've had their initial run. The Kingdom, starring Jennifer Garner (Ms. Affleck) and Jamie Fox was my choice, since I'd seen all the other movies on the menu. Jamie Fox was able to sneak in another reference to Terrell, Texas, his hometown. I believe he's mentioned Terrell in every movie he's made.

Watching movies in public theaters is really pathetic these days: babies crying, fat women eating food they've sneaked into the place making all kinds of chomping noises, teenagers text-messaging their pals, couples having a running commentary on every scene, and little kids running up the aisles or sitting behind you kicking your seat. Some movies may be worth watching in a public theater (Lord of the Rings, 300), but no one in their right mind would watch a movie in a cinema these days when you can stay home and watch any movie you wish on your surround sound system.

After the movie last night I spent two hours at Starbucks writing. I'm getting into the habit of closing down the Starbucks at night. The particular one I visit each evening is usually full of people, mostly University of Arizona students, and I'm lucky to get a table. Last night one of the students asked me about my internet access.

"I just bought a new laptop today and was wondering how I can get online," she asks me.

"I pay T-Mobile each month for unlimited access." I could tell she didn't like that option.

"Oh, I need to pay for it." She looked disappointed.

I don't mind meeting people at Starbucks. It's a normal thing to do, a social gathering place that promotes strangers getting together, interacting. Just don't bother me when I'm watching Jennifer Garner at the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...