Thursday, August 23, 2007

Albuquerque on $4 a Day

I hate to admit this, but I have watched my share of Rachael Ray’s $40 a Day show on the Food Network. Yeah, her voice is annoying. But she is cute. If you've not seen the show, let me briefly describe it. Rachael spends the day in some luxurious location like Monte Carlo, or Kansas City, and attempts to eat three nice meals and a snack with only $40.

Not to be outdone, I came up with my own challenge of sorts. I called it Albuquerque on $4 a Day. I hope someone at the Food Network tunes in.

The rules for the Albuquerque on $4 a Day Challenge were as follows. First, I had to eat at least three meals. Second, I had to eat enough to feel satisfied and feel like I had eaten something. I cannot just fast for the day. Third, I can not spend more than $4. That's right. Just $4.

Why did I do this? I needed something to write about and thought this would do it. I’m wanting to know if someone on a very strict budget can survive a day in Albuquerque and so I put myself to the test.

Rachael Ray gives herself $40. Well, I can beat that! How about $4, Rachael? Can you swing that?

Here’s how I did it.

Before breakfast I must have my coffee and newspapers. I always read a local paper plus the U.S. Today. The Sandia Resort is kind enough to furnish my coffee and both newspapers free of charge. I grabbed my papers, poured myself a to-go cup of coffee and drove directly to a neighborhood Starbucks to start the day. So far, I’ve spent zero.

After my morning coffee and papers, I walked next door to a grocery store and purchased a Yoplait yogurt (Strawberry flavored) and one banana. Since I had filled out a “reward card” application, I was able to get a discount on the yogurt. Total cost of my breakfast: 64 cents.

Back at Starbucks I ate breakfast and worked until almost 1 p.m. I was ready for lunch and knew where I was going next: the Whole Foods Market on Wyoming Blvd.

The Whole Foods Market is a wonderful place. As I looked out the front windows, the majestic Sandia Mountains in the distance hung like a painting in the sky by a very big artist. I felt healthier just by being there, surrounded by fresh breads, organic fruits of every kind (the employees), and all kinds of apples, pears, grapes, and assorted green vegetables.

I immediately began looking for free samples. I am on a budget, you know.

As luck would have it, free samples were located throughout the store tempting the taste buds of the large lunch crowd. I tried a few chunks of pepper jack cheese. Very nice. How would this taste on a nacho? Down the next aisle by the processed seafood, I noticed a display of crackers and some kind of shrimp spread. The sign said, “Try me!” So I did. If fact I ate three crackers with shrimp spread before moving on.

I made my way across to the other side of the store to find the prepared foods and deli. I hit a gold mine of free food samples here. My favorites were the cinnamon crisps, honey muffin, and mango fruit salsa. By the time I was through tasting samples I was already satisfied. Feeling guilty, I did purchase a raspberry bran muffin to eat out on the patio. I grabbed a free glass of iced water and took my muffin out on the patio to enjoy the mountains and fresh air.

After eating my muffin, I strolled back into the store and made one more stop by the food samples. On this trip I had pimento cheese with crackers, a bite-sized cupcake with white icing, another chunk of pepper jack cheese, and a Brazilian nut cookie. On my way out, I made one last stop by the shrimp spread. I couldn't resist.

Total cost of lunch: the $1.89 I spent on my bran muffin.

As Rachael Ray might say if she were me, “After a nice breakfast and a wonderful light lunch, I’ve only spent $2.53. I have $1.47 left for dinner and a late night snack.”

What did I do for dinner? I took the easy way out and went to McDonald’s and purchased a double cheeseburger from their “dollar menu.” Not the most nutritious meal in town, but it was cheap. It was enough of an early evening snack to satisfy any hunger I may have had. At the Sandia Resort I found some other snack items that were free for the taking, so I took.

Total cost of three meals and a snack: $3.60.

So, Rachael, you can spend $40 in one day and visit restaurants in Paris, or Sao Paolo, or Houston, and have three nice meals and a snack, and make it entertaining. Try taking your act to Albuquerque and only spend $4!

Now that the Albuquerque on $4 a Day Challenge is over, I’m going to the Olive Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...