Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I Hate Garage Sales

When my brother sent an email asking me to participate in a garage sale my first thought was, "I hate garage sales." But my Relocation Fund needs all the help it can get, so I agreed to make the one hour drive to his home for the weekend.

The sale went fine I guess, I did make a little money. It was a last-minute idea, so we didn't prepare for it at all--we just hauled junk out on the driveway and put up a couple of signs. We had our first customers within minutes of opening for business. I sold everything I had except a couple of office chairs. My brother unloaded a truck load of old furniture. And the best part we had a good time just hanging out.

I'm now ready to move when the time comes. I've sold or thrown away the junk I don't want to move with me, placing in storage the personal items I'd rather not mess with until I get settled.

It is amazing that we buy junk we don't need or use sparingly. Then we pay for storage to put that stuff away in place we rarely go to except when we have a garage sale to unload the items to someone else who probably doesn't need the assorted junk either. The great American recycling of one's used junk. The only people making money are investors who build storage facilities. I need to invest in a mini-warehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...