Saturday, July 18, 2009

Library Hi-Tech Gear Gives Me a Hi-Tech Headache

RSS Feed from www.MyRoadArt.com

Day 103 in the Las Vegas Valley

I got my library card the first week I moved to Las Vegas. I was in Summerlin, and found the Las Vegas-Clark County Library District (clumsily referred to as the "LVCCLD", like some undecipherable Roman numeral). The Summerlin branch of the LVCCLD was undergoing a facelift at the time, but was a nice enough place tucked neatly inside a business center near The Trails. I had few problems finding my way around.

My trouble began when I tried to check out a few books, DVDs, and CDs. The hi-tech gear at the library check out counter gave me an old-fashioned headache. I was instructed to hold my books and other items under a scanner, then pass the stack of materials over a mechanized cabinet-gizmo that would deactivate the security tags placed in each of the items. Okay. I'm computer literate. I can do this.

As luck would have it, I missed something and set off an alarm as I was walking out. A library security guard gave me a "What's-your-problem" look and asked me to return to the check out counter. Well, she didn't really ask. She told me, "You need to return to the check out counter." I complied.

In the old days you carried your books to the check out counter and the librarian would stamp a few cards and off you would go. No hassle. No big deal. Just a stamp and go. But now I'm required to maneuver my way through computerized equipment scanners and high-beam security sensors in order to check out the latest bestseller. Give me a break.

After moving to Henderson I found the nearest branch of the LVCCLD on Shelbourne, just off South Las Vegas Blvd. I wanted to check out two books, six CDs, and three DVDs. I went to the check out computer consoles and encountered something similar to the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. What the crap is all of this hi-tech stuff? How the heck do I check out a book?

I placed the entire stack of items I wanted to check out on a table in front of a computer monitor. As I was looking around to see what to do next, the monitor began to list the items I had placed on the table. "You've got to be kidding me. What the hell is this?" A security guard nearby walked over and gave me directions on how to check out items on "our new toy."

I was instructed to place my books in a stack on the table. The table top, as if by magic, scanned the stack of books, CDs, and DVDs and immediately checked them out. I received a receipt when it was through. I did not have to pass the books by hand under a scanner. All I did was set the books down on the table.

Naturally, I missed something and set off an alarm as I was leaving the library. With all this hi-tech gear to make my library experience a pleasant one, I sure seem to be setting off a lot of alarms. In the old days with just a stamp I don't remember ever setting off an alarm. Not once. I eventually discovered that I was not leaving my stack of books on the table long enough. (I guess the hi-tech gizmo needs time to save me time.)

To check the library materials back in is another story. You punch a button on a computer screen to begin. Then you place each item under a red light hovering over a conveyor belt hidden inside a slot in the wall. The book, CD, or DVD, whatever, is slowly sucked in by the conveyor belt. As it passes by a scanner the red light turns green. It's similar to standing in front of a microwave oven in your kitchen and slowly placing a book inside it, only to see it disappear into nothingness, sucked into oblivion.

I suppose all of this Star Trek technology enables the library to safely check out items to the public without having to pay someone to stamp a card. It is a slick operation when you think about it. Walk in, find your book, lay it on a table, walk out. But does it save time? Maybe. If I can stop setting off the alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...