Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Rangers, Cubs, and Athletics

Day 218 on the road.

I'm now in Scottsdale for a couple of weeks, having said good-bye to Tucson. I love Scottsdale...I've never seen so many shopping malls, restaurants, art galleries, and of course, tourists. This is Tourist Mecca del Sol from January through May, and I can see why. Just a gorgeous place to have fun in the sun.

This morning I made my last visit to the Fine Arts Expo and talked with two artists, one a wood sculptor and the other a local man from Phoenix who paints in oil, watercolor and pastels... and also draws in pencil, pen and ink, and charcoal. "I see you do everything," I said. He even does some sculpture, though is booth was mainly full of watercolors, oils, and a few pencil drawings. This is the last week of the Expo until next year. Many of the artists were present today, working on various projects, and hoping to make that one last big sale before folding their tents.

Yesterday I watched the Texas Rangers hammer the Athletics with blazing bats. It was a fun game.


I took this self-portrait outside the Starbucks on Bell Road, just a few blocks from Surprise Stadium. The weather was a little cool, but not bad at all. Earlier in the week, rain and cold weather had blown through here before slamming the mid-west and Texas over the last few days. Today the high is expected to reach 80 degrees. The Rangers play another home game on Friday night, and I expect it will be downright cold during the game.

Yesterday I was the Rangers play the Athletics, but earlier in the week I saw the Rangers and the Chicago Cubs go at it. So, I've actually got photos and comments from two games.

First, from my day with the Rangers and the Cubs:


The first person I saw when I entered the stadium was Hall of Fame star Fergie Jenkins, sitting at a booth selling autographed memorabilia for his foundation. As a former pitcher for both the Cubs and the Rangers, it was fitting he be there for the game. Fergie won the Cy Young award in 1971, has the ninth highest strikeout total in history, including over 2,000 strikeouts with the Cubs (the most in Cubs history), and was inducted in the Hall of Fame in 1991.

When I entered the ticket gate, the ticket-taker looked at my Rangers hat and said, "You're out numbered today, buddy, the Cubs are here." He was right, of course. Cub fans outnumbered Rangers fans that day two to one.


Alfonso Soriano takes a swing, hoping to show why he's worth $14 million this year.




Cubs manager Lou Piniella and bench coach Alan Trammell. Piniella looks like he swallowed a basketball.

The following photos are from yesterday, Rangers vs. the Athletics:

Mike "Stringy Arm" Young. Actually, my cheap digital camera doesn't do a very good job of freezing action.

The Honor Guard was present for the game. Military jets also flew over a couple of times during the game. Jason Ellison (#37, an "invitee" not on the 40-man roster) and Josh Hamilton (#32) watch as the national anthem is being sung acapella by a hot babe (very good looking with a great voice but I don't recall her name).


It was another beautiful day for baseball, and the crowd numbered over 8,300. So far, the Cubs and the Athletics have drawn the largest crowds.

My cheap digital camera has a "movie" function, so I tested it out yesterday at the game. I posted the video on YouTube. So, here you go. Click below and be amazed by the camera work and quality.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...