Friday, October 12, 2007

My Life in ABQ, Cowboy Football, and Other Stuff

I thought I would post some photos and give you a sense of what I've been doing and where I've been hanging out since I've been in ABQ.

The photo above is of the Wilderness in High Desert, a residential community and park area just minutes from the Sandia Resort. Homes are located at the foot of the Sandia Mountains, costing a bundle of cash.


When I look at this photo taken of me at Starbucks, I have to admit I looked pretty relaxed. It's been a fun trip so far. I'm trying hard to alleviate any stress in my life. My routine is to walk next door and buy a butter croissant and yogurt at the Smith's Grocery, then come back to Starbucks for breakfast. You'll notice two cups on my table next to my yogurt: coffee and orange juice I get free at the Sandia Resort. Why buy an overpriced cup of coffee at Starbucks when I can get it for free?


One of the many Starbucks in ABQ is this one located next door to the UPS Store where I work (see photo below). I'm here almost every morning and before work. The patio at the right is perfect in the mornings and evenings for reading, writing, or just visiting with locals who gather there.

The UPS Store above has been good to me while here. The employees and owner are all very nice and easy to work with. It's also not a bad part time job for someone traveling around the country. There are over 4,000 UPS Stores nationwide. I did some checking and found 55 UPS Stores within a 10 mile radius of Las Vegas! ABQ has about nine stores.


For lunch, I'll often eat at the Whole Foods Market on Wyoming Blvd. One reason is this view from the patio. I took the photo above while eating lunch there yesterday. I usually buy one of the great soups from the deli inside the store. Of course, the green chili and cheddar cheese bread they make is awesome, too.
____________________________________________________________


How about them Cowboys? I just read the USA Today’s front page today, and the “Battle of the Unbeatens” is starting to heat up. I can’t wait! Go Cowboys!

I watched the Romo Rally at the Tlur P’a Lounge at the Sandia Resort last Monday night. About 75 of us gathered in front of a big screen to shout for our team, fans from all over the country were represented. I invited two elderly gentlemen from New York to join me at my table, since seating was limited. They were big fans of football and we had a great time. When the Cowboys made the touchdown, we stood and cheered and gave each other high-fives. When the miracle onside kick occurred, we stood and cheered and gave each other high-fives, again. When the subsequent two field goals were made the entire crowd went crazy and everyone was cheering so loud you could no longer hear the slot machines just a few feet away. What a night!

I’ve watched five Cowboys games while here in ABQ. I’ve watched three games at the Tlur P’a Lounge (yes, the name is spelled correctly… Pueblo Indians have a since of humor when it comes to names). I watched the opening game of the season at Sneakerz (yes, the “z” is correct…sports bar owners have a sense of humor, too). And I actually watched one game at two different locations, from two sports bars located next to each other. I began the game at Twin Peaks (a new sports-themed restaurant) and left at half-time to finish the game at the Fox and Hound Sports Bar. Therefore, to summarize, I’ve watched five Cowboys games at four different locations.

Which of the above mentioned locations is my favorite? It would have to be the Fox and Hound. That’s where I will be this Sunday at 2:15 p.m. to watch the “Battle of the Unbeatens.”

The Balloon Fiesta of 2007 comes to a close on Sunday. Each night the fireworks display has been amazing to watch from high atop the plateau that overlooks the valley where the activities take place. The Sandia Resort parking lot is a favorite local spot to watch the events.

Albuquerque is actually in a valley, with the Sandia Mountain range to the east and gently rolling hills and mesa lands stretching to the west. To the north you can just get a glimpse of the imposing southern end of the Rockies that touch Santa Fe. The Resort is located near the foot the Sandia Mountains, elevated enough to look down on a valley that makes up northern Albuquerque. This makes the resort a perfect place to view the Balloon Fiesta.

I’ve now been working part time at a UPS retail store in a shopping strip for about six weeks. It’s been fun to meet some locals and get a feel for the community. I’ve met evangelistic ministers, factory owners, small business owners, retail store managers, real estate agents, authors, retirees, and all sorts of high school kids who skate by on their boards from the La Cueva High School next door to the shopping center.

I've enjoyed my stay in ABQ, however, the call of the road is getting louder each day. I’m beginning to feel like it’s time to hit the highway once again and head west. My intention all along was to stay in Albuquerque through the month of October and then decide when and where to go next. It appears that at the end of the month I may once again pack up and move on west for the Winter. I may even decide to spend the Winter in southern Arizona and California before making my way to Las Vegas in the early Spring. We’ll just have to see how the wind blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We May Be in for a Perfect Storm of Home "Unaffordability".

I recently read about celebrity real estate agent Mauricio Umansky, who raised concerns about the "perfect storm of total unaffordabili...